Sunday, June 15, 2014

Custom Premmie Baby Bear


This little guy is Baby Oscar. I was contacted by his mum a few weeks ago asking if I could make a bear 41cm long and 3lbs 1oz in weight. I was a little surprised by how specific the sizing/weighting needed to be for her custom bear, but then she explained why and I totally understood.

Back in February when I was also pregnant with my surrogate bubba, her little guy was born sleeping at 33wks. He was born weighing 3lbs, 1oz and 41cm long. And his name was Oscar.


So I made some adjustments to my newborn-sized baby bear design to bring the proportions back down to a smaller 'premmie' size, and to make sure the bear would be 41cm long when assembled.



His mum chose from our available mohair, and decided that our 'Oscar' tipped mohair was meant to be. I hadn't made a baby bear from this fur before, but I must say I'm really impressed with how well it makes up in a larger sized bear.


She asked that he be dressed in a little knitted jacket, and have the white body/sleeve 'onesie' look like some of my other baby bears have had (we used our 'Noah' mohair for this - it's seriously soft and perfect for the task).



And so 'Baby Oscar' the bear was completed this morning. His little knitted cream hoodie jacket arrived in the post late friday (and was a perfect fit), and he had his photoshoot earlier today. The photos have been sent to his new mum and I'm so relieved to say she likes him!



I must say that this has been a very touching custom order, and one I was so honoured to be asked to do.



1 comment:

  1. He is beautiful, and such a touching story. I hope he gives his new mum some comfort and lots of cuddles. xxx

    ReplyDelete